Will my insurance increase from a speeding ticket from Georgia? Does Georgia allow for PJCs?

Asked over 1 year ago - Savannah, GA

I am from NC and received a speeding ticket on my way to Florida. I believe the speed was 86 in a 70 as I dont have the ticket with me atm. 1- Does Georgia have a "PJC" as we do in NC? 2- I received a PJC within the last year from NC, will this impact my ability to get on in Georgia? 3- Will my insurance company be able to charge me (since Georgia is not a DLC member (how will they find out?)) 4- I need a good attorney to handle this for me as it will be too costly to travel back to court for this ticket, what should I expect to pay or is an average? 5- What, if any, benenfit can I expect from hiring an attorney from Georgia to handle it (reduction in speed, kicked out, etc?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Elmer H. Young III

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I do not practice in NC, and your best advice would come from an attorney who practices there. That being said, my experience has led me to believe that a speeding ticket in any state with a speed of 15 or more mph will cause NC to suspend the DL. That info may likely be available on NC's DMV site. Your current driving record will be a key to how this particular ticket might be handled. A good guy to speak to in Savannah would be Doug Andrews, who is not hard to find. Tell him I said Hi!

    I am an attorney, practicing throughout the state of Georgia, but primarily in the areas around Augusta,... more
  2. Jack Ira Klein


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . NC is a tough state on out of state citations, may result in license suspensions, check with a NC traffic Lawyer. Usually I would get that speed reduced so that it is not reported to DDS nor NC. A lawyer can do a Plea In Absentia for you.

    You should consult an Attorney that handles Traffic cases in the jurisdiction you received the citation to... more
  3. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, this will go on your driving history in NC. Even though Georgia's not a compact state we do share information with NC. Also, the speed you were going will most likely cause our NC license to be suspended for at least 30 days. While I am not a NC attorney I have handled enough tickets for people licensed in NC to know that NC is brutal when it comes to reporting violations, and suspending a drivers license. Your best bet is to hire an attorney to get the speed reduced below 14 mph which I believe is the hers hold NC uses for suspending a driver's license. Ideally, the charge could get reduced to a local ordinance violation which would not get reported to NC at all. Some courts do have diversion programs depending o which court your case is in. In that case a lawyer could enter the plea for you, pay the fine, etc., and get the ticket dismissed itch out you having to return to Georgia.

    James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,545 answers this week

2,859 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,545 answers this week

2,859 attorneys answering