Will my insurance increase from a speeding ticket from Georgia? Does Georgia allow for PJCs?

Savannah, GA |

I am from NC and received a speeding ticket on my way to Florida. I believe the speed was 86 in a 70 as I dont have the ticket with me atm. 1- Does Georgia have a "PJC" as we do in NC? 2- I received a PJC within the last year from NC, will this impact my ability to get on in Georgia? 3- Will my insurance company be able to charge me (since Georgia is not a DLC member (how will they find out?)) 4- I need a good attorney to handle this for me as it will be too costly to travel back to court for this ticket, what should I expect to pay or is an average? 5- What, if any, benenfit can I expect from hiring an attorney from Georgia to handle it (reduction in speed, kicked out, etc?

I do not practice in NC, and your best advice would come from an attorney who practices there. That being said, my experience has led me to believe that a speeding ticket in any state with a speed of 15 or more mph will cause NC to suspend the DL. That info may likely be available on NC's DMV site. Your current driving record will be a key to how this particular ticket might be handled. A good guy to speak to in Savannah would be Doug Andrews, who is not hard to find. Tell him I said Hi!

I am an attorney, practicing throughout the state of Georgia, but primarily in the areas around Augusta, Statesboro and Savannah, Georgia. You may review more information about my practice by going to: http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/30809-ga-elmer-young-540135/reviews.html. The information I am providing you should only be considered for your general knowledge and educational purposes. Consider it as a good first step in your knowledge acquisition, but not as legal advice. Indeed, any information I provide is based on the extremely limited facts you have provided and new facts could substantially alter any answer or reply. My opinion should be understood to apply only to the laws of the State of Georgia. You should always consult with a local attorney about your situation if you live outside of the State of Georgia.

NC is a tough state on out of state citations, may result in license suspensions, check with a NC traffic Lawyer. Usually I would get that speed reduced so that it is not reported to DDS nor NC. A lawyer can do a Plea In Absentia for you.

You should consult an Attorney that handles Traffic cases in the jurisdiction you received the citation to evaluate your options.

Jack Ira Klein

Jack Ira Klein

p.s. It's also a SUPERSPEEDER!!!

Yes, this will go on your driving history in NC. Even though Georgia's not a compact state we do share information with NC. Also, the speed you were going will most likely cause our NC license to be suspended for at least 30 days. While I am not a NC attorney I have handled enough tickets for people licensed in NC to know that NC is brutal when it comes to reporting violations, and suspending a drivers license. Your best bet is to hire an attorney to get the speed reduced below 14 mph which I believe is the hers hold NC uses for suspending a driver's license. Ideally, the charge could get reduced to a local ordinance violation which would not get reported to NC at all. Some courts do have diversion programs depending o which court your case is in. In that case a lawyer could enter the plea for you, pay the fine, etc., and get the ticket dismissed itch out you having to return to Georgia.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.