Will my husband US citizenship application be denied if he abandoned me?

Asked about 2 years ago - Boston, MA

My husband left me here (Philippines) unsupported and he's currently at the united states. He earned his green card before he was 21 years old through the help of his mother.His mother is legally married here in the Philippines but then married an American born citizen.When me and my husband got married here in the Philippines I was 23 yrs old and he was 24 yrs old. During the year that we got married (September 8, 2007) his mother told him that he needs to go back to united states because his stated reason on a US document, he is only here for education, Again he left Philippines last May (2012) by his mother's help. Before he left Philippines, he began to process on filing our marriage annulment but then left it unattended.Now, if I report him to INS will his US citizenship application w

Additional information

Now, if I report him to INS will his US citizenship be denied?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Lisa A. Tehlirian


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . U.S. Department of Homeland Security would make the determination to review your husband's case and pursue action based on the allegation of failure to support one's dependents.

  2. Elliot M.S. Yi

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I agree with my colleague.

    The Law Office of Elliot M.S. Yi, 2075 SW First Avenue, Ste 2J, Portland, Oregon, 97201 www.emsylaw.com; elliot@... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US citizenship

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,697 answers this week

2,442 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,697 answers this week

2,442 attorneys answering