Will my husband's over 1million IRS debt be my responsibility if he pass away?We have separate bank account, separate tax filing

Asked about 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

My fiancee had over 1 millions IRS debt as he never filed tax return since year 2000 until now. He and IRS already reached agreement that IRS deducts few hundreds bucks from his social security retirement income (even more than 15%, which is surprising to me). We will get married soon and already have pre-nup and have separate bank account, will do separate tax filing.
- With all above, I assume IRS wont be able to come to me to pay his debt. Am I right ?
- If one day he pass away and I claim survivor benefit from his social security income, will IRS still deduct his debt on his survivor benefit paid to me?

1. Evan A Nielsen

9

Answered . You're asking so very good questions - the answers depend on the specifics of how the pre-nup and other documents and accounts are setup. Would strongly recommend that you set down with your own attorney to make sure all is in order before the wedding takes place. Otherwise you could end up with some very unpleasant surprises. They can also answer your questions about social security.

2. Phillip Monroe Smith

6

Answered . Why do you see the need to marry this man!? Once you are married all your subsequent income becomes community property. While the prenup and the "separate" arrangement smight work (I have been successful with this approach), you are playing with fire. One slip, and your income and assets will be subject to his tax debts.

3. Bruce Givner

5

Answered . Messrs. Smith and Nielsen have given you good advice. You should hire one of them before you go further.

4. Anna Barsegyan

5

Answered . Since your fiancee incurred the liability prior to marriage, you would not be liable for his income tax debt. However, since California is a community property state, if you do get married to him without a prenuptial agreement, then the IRS can collect from you to pay off his debt.
    If you do decide to marry him, take the advice of my colleagues and consult an attorney to make sure that the prenuptial agreement effectively separates your income and assets. It will also be wise to keep separate bank accounts. Since he is on an installment agreement currently, the IRS will not seize his property. But in the event that he defaults the agreement, the IRS can potentially levy your bank account or other financial accounts if his name is also on the account.

5. Anastatia Quirk Ellis

5

Answered . As you are not now responsible for the debt, then you should never become responsible for the debt. I would file taxes separately and be aware that the IRS has held people responsible who are not, and that discussing possible outcomes with a tax attorney now may save you headaches down the road.