Will my husband get jail time for driving with a suspended license?

New Haven, CT |

We now live in NY but he was pulled over in new haven CT for driving 85 mph on a 50 mph highway..his liscence is still suspended but needed to be reinstated this year.the only reason he was in CT is because his car got stolen and he had to leave an drive his cousins vehicle home early morning cause I'm pregnant and was in the hospital

1. Wow. That is some fact pattern! You are unlikely to get jail time with a good, local attorney unless he is a repeat offender in CT.

This is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is absolutely NOT legal advice that you should rely upon when making a decision. It is general information about the law in Connecticut. You need to consult with an attorney who will ask you all the facts necessary to give you specific legal advice for your situation.

2. If he was driving for an emergency that may be a defense. I don't think a jury would want to convict someone for driving to see his pregnant wife in the hospital.
    www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
    Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
    Austin DWI Lawyer
    512-495-1813

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website, www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

3. I agree that jail time is unlikely if he hires a good defense attorney, depending on your husband's criminal background and probation status. For what it's worth, resolving the case after he gets his license reinstated should improve things. Good luck,

Jasen Nielsen

4. Depends mainly upon the reason for the suspension. If the suspension was for DUI there is a mandatory 30 days in jail. If it was just a suspension that would be over (like sixty days starting six months ago) BUT you (he) had not filed for reinstatement ( and paid the $100 reinstatement fee to the DMV ). Most prosecutors would allow time to get the reinstatement and then drop the charges once you regain a vailid license.
    Driving under suspension is one of the "Crimes" that is receiving more attention from prosecutors.

Traffic tickets topics