Will my husband be charged if he committed a crime while he was mentally unstable ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cleveland, OH

My husband is a 25 yr old veteran 100 % service connected for bipolar and has been hospitalized for pzychotic episodes about 4 times in the last 2 years not including this one he is now in a state hospital on a jail hold because of what happened . here is the story : he left our home in california to go stay with his mom in ohio because he was delusional and began having hallucinations,when he got there he broke into a funeral home, punched holes in walls and doors, undressed himself started to dress up dead bodies and tried ressurecting them cause he said he was jesus he has been in the hospital for 3 weeks and is now being charged with 3 felonies 2 for breaking and entering and 1 for robbery. So what are the odds that he will get charged for this when he wasen't in his right mindset ?

Additional information

he is still very disorganized in his thinking and still really out of it and is still lost in his own world, he doesn't respond to medications but is aware of what he has done to a degree , i really don't know what to do but i need guidance from experienced attorneys . Thank you

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Barry Franklin Poulson

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . He can be charged with a crime, no matter what. His defense attorney can raise the mental health issues either to convince the prosecutor to dismiss in favor of treatment or as a legal defense if the case goes forward. You need a criminal defense attorney. A defense attorney will be used to cases involving mental health issues.

    We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I... more
  2. Norman Antonio Stiteler

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As attorney Poulson notes, there is a difference between being charged and being found incompetent. Unfortunately, it sounds as if your husband has a serious mental illness and the criminal justice system is poorly equipped to deal with them. You will need a good attorney who is familiar with the law and who is comfortable with the mental health system.

    I am licensed in New Mexico and Pennsylvania, and therefore any discussion of issues related to other states must... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,157 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,157 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering