Will my green card application be rejected/denied if myself and my U.S citizen husband have recently separated?

Asked over 1 year ago - Grand Prairie, TX


Additional information

I am currently waiting on a decision on my green card status, but myself and my wife who is a U.S citizen have just recently separated after I found out she was cheating on me and she might be pregnant with his child. Our interview happened at the end of 2012 and we received a letter from USCIS a month ago stating they would contact us soon about a decision. I'm worried about what will happen, if our application requires a 2nd interview or further evidence of marriage as we are now separated. Where do I stand with this?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It might still be approved if you guys passed the interview. But if it is a conditional residence, what will you do when the time comes to remove the condition? See a good attorney for an advice.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more
  2. Jose Antonio Moreno

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . A marriage, among other things, must be bonafide--I would consult an immigration attorney as there are numerous pitfalls to proceeding erroneously relating to your immigration future. USCIS does realize people often separate even though their intentions were honest and genuine when the petition was filed and adjudicated.

  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You really need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,349 answers this week

3,179 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,349 answers this week

3,179 attorneys answering