Will my foreign spouse have the residency of the state that we are married in?

Asked over 1 year ago - East Hartford, CT

I am an U.S. citizen with Connecticut residency. I plan to bring my fiancé over to the U.S. from Hong Kong next year. I will be attending graduate school in Massachusetts for the next few years. If we get married in Massachusetts, will he receive residency from CT or MA? He is planning on attending community college in MA, close to where we live, so having a MA residency will be more beneficial to us.

1. Dana Roxana Bucin

2

1

Answered . Residence is where you actually live, as shown by either a state ID, or your lease, or other proof that you actually live there. For immigration purposes, the only difference is where you go to interview: Hartford or Boston. So I would not worry about the residence as much as I would about how to bring him over as a fiance, which is a detailed-oriented process for which you might consider getting attorney assistance.

2. Robert C Ross

2

Answered . State residency only really matters for Immigration as to where your interview will be conducted. - Connecticut is done in Hartford, Massachusetts in Boston. It goes by where the person is actually living. But other than that, CIS doesn't have anything to do with state residency. As to bringing your fiance from Hong Kong, that is something you will very likely need help with, and I urge you to retain a good immigration lawyer. It is very easy to unwittingly create problems with a fiance case (or marriage based case, for that matter) and it is always harder trying to get the case corrected than to do it right from the beginning.

3. Stephen D. Berman

2

1

Answered . Where you reside, is where your residency is.

4. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

1

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. A fiance visa can be difficult to obtain and it would be best for you to consult an immigration attorney with your case. Where you have residence is dependent upon where you live.

5. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . You would need to ask the college in question.