Will my first MIP show up as a conviction on a background check?

Seattle, WA |

A few years ago in May, I got an MIP. Went to court-paid a fine. Case done. The paper work says bail forfeiture. this, I don't understand. What does this mean?
3 months later I got another MIP. Went to court- they said if I say guilty- pay $600- stay out of trouble for 1 year to the day -case will be dismissed. I complied. No trouble. When my medical school does a background check what will show up? I checked that I had NOT been convicted of a crime. Will both MIP charges show up? Does paying a fine mean I was convicted in the 1st MIP?

A bail forfeiture is NOT a conviction; neither is it a dismissal. It is essentially a way to close a case without ever making any findings. In most cases it is not a problem, in other cases (such as immigration consequences) it can be treated like a conviction. It is really hard to say how the second one will show up as it depends on the way it was continued and dismissed.

Ultimately, both will show up on your defendant's case history, probably as a bail forfeiture and a dismissed charge. Neither should show up as convictions. That doesn't really help as I believe that the question when applying for a medical license is "have you ever been arrested." As such, most medical schools will ask the same question. You will likely have to divulge these incidents. Be ready to show what you have done to fix this problem in your life. It may actually be a benefit in the long run. Everyone likes a good story about conquering adversity.

A bail forfeiture is akin to being guilty and will likely show up. The second time, you plead guilty, so you've been convicted even though it was later dismissed after what sounds like a deferred sentence. That one will show up too. You can get the last MIP vacated if the dismissal was entered more than three years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry but I don't understand. will my first MIP show up as a conviction?

Vitaliy Kertchen

Vitaliy Kertchen

Probably, yes.

Vitaliy Kertchen

Vitaliy Kertchen

You can make sure by googling "WSP WATCH," going to the website, and paying $10 to run a criminal history check on yourself.

I ordered a search on WSP WATCH and no criminal conviction history file was found on my name.

Vitaliy Kertchen

Vitaliy Kertchen

That's definitely a good thing. However, the court files still exist and may be accessed by the public. Thus, not having anything come back on WATCH doesn't necessarily mean that the medical school won't unearth those MIPs. There is a way to seal court records, but it's extraordinarily difficult to do.

Yes. I understand this. But, the medical school asked if there were any convictions. I haven't been 'convicted'. Yes, charged and dismissed. Can I email you? Are you willing to help me out? I understand that you have a fee. There are a few things that I'm not saying on here as it may be too personal. thank you for your time.

You need to hire a criminal defense attorney to review the court records and see if you quaily for any type of expungement process in your state. Be careful answering questions on your applications to medical school. Don't lie to any question asked about your prior criminal record.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Yes it is show up on a background check because a bail forfieture is considered to be a conviction.