Will my fiance still be deported to Trinidad?

Asked almost 3 years ago - San Bernardino, CA

My fiancé was recently convicted (must serve 5yr sentence) in CA for conspiracy money laundering & content to distribute. If he and I marry will he still be deported after serving his sentence? He has been in the US for 15 yrs and served in US Army for 8yrs, doing 2 tours in Iraq. He has children with ex wife and he and I have a son as well. Is there any way to get around this possibility?

If I myself am active duty Air Force and we married, would this change anything?

He has obtained a green card but I believe it is expired.

1. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

2. Lynne Rogers Feldman

Answered . i agree -- you have good equities but two serious crimes. If he served in the U.S. Army I am assuming he is already a permanent resident? You need a legal evaluation to determine if he will be eligible for cancellation of removal or otherwise determine appropriate relief. There are also special citizenship provisions for military on active duty if he is a PR.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277
    email: lynne@feldmanfeldman.com
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

3. William D. Fong

Answered . Those are both very serious crimes and either one will make him inadmissible. One is a crime involving moral turpitude (money laundering) and the other a felony drug offense (intent to distribute). Get a full copy of the criminal records and consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

4. Jason Todd Lorenzon

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. These are very very serious crimes that will limit his availabilty for relief. You need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney but before you do get all of the records of conviction so they can be fully discerned and the ramifications on his immigration status be determined. With the seriousness and nature of the crimes, at first blush his only hope of relief may be under the United Nations Convention Against Torture.

5. Sean Lewis

Answered . I agree with Mr. Fong. The only possible exception might be if there was a plea of guilty back in 1996-1997 (you dot not say).

6. Jeffrey Adam Devore

Answered . It appears that your fiance's criminal convictions are for aggravated felonies. In such a case he is statutorily precluded from establishing the good moral character for naturalization and ineligible for most forms of relief from deportation. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your fiance's criminal and immigration history and advise you what options may be available.