Will my fiance's tax return be affected if he is victim of identity theft?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lakewood, CO

He was incarcerated and recently found out his social was being used by a lot of people all over the place.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Your husband needs to file charges that his identify was stolen with both local officials and federal officials. That way, if people are using his social security number for employment (which is common) or to get credit (which is also common), he will not be held liable. My colleague is correct that he will not be liable for any income, payments, etc. that was obtained by others without his knowledge or permission while he is incarcerated. He should still file his tax returns even though he does not have any income, with a page explaining to the IRS that his social security number was compromised, just to be safe.

  2. John Adam Wetenkamp

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . He should contact the IRS at the Identity Protection Specialized Unit. Their toll-free number is 1-800-908-4490.

    This response should not be considered legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed by this response,... more
  3. Christopher Michael Larson

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . He will have income that isn't his if people are using his SSN to work illegally. Otherwise, I don't see how it will have a huge effect on his taxes.

    Christopher Larson
    Insight Law

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,472 answers this week

3,364 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,472 answers this week

3,364 attorneys answering