Will my ex-spouse cover for my Health Insurance After Final Judgment of Divorce in NJ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Morris Plains, NJ

We just divorced. However, the judge did not include the health insurance issue in our final judgement of divorce. There is an court order during the divorce states my spouse is required to cover for my health insurance.
in this case, is my spouse required to continue to provide health insurance for me after divorce? My work does not provide health insurance.

1. Thomas S. Durst

Pro

1

Answered . Typically, prior orders are rendered void upon the entry of a final judgement unless the are expressly held to serve in the language of the judgment. If yours is silent on the issue of health insurance (it might be addressed in the alimony section) you need to address this omission ASAP. If you do not have any attorney you should consider retaining one.

2. Bari Zell Weinberger

Pro

1

Answered . In most cases, an insurance company will not allow a subscriber to continue to cover a former spouse after a Final Judgment of Divorce is entered. Some insurance companies will provide a grace period for removing the former spouse from the policy. In some certain circumstances, a court may order (or parties may agree) that the insured spouse pay the cost of COBRA for the uninsured spouse or pay a specific amount each month for health insurance. You may want to consult with an attorneyregarding this issue becuase it is a complex.

3. Karen K Saminski

Pro

Answered . My law practice is devoted solely to the practice of family law. If you would like a free consultation with me or a family lawyer in my firm, call 201-795-5566 or 908-301-1111. We can help you proceed. You may also want to visit www.karensaminski.com to familiarize yourself with some aspects of the process. Karen Kirchoff Saminski, Esq.

One or more answers have been taken down.