Will my ex-husband get his permanent green card?

Asked about 1 year ago - Worcester, MA

My ex-"husband" used me for a green card and we divorced a year after the marriage and separated 7 months after marrying. He got his conditional green card based on the marriage. I reported him for fraud at U.S.C.I.S. and spoke directly to an immigration officer and gave her the evidence I had, affidavits, record of him texting another woman, etc..She took on the case directly and put it in his file and said that he will be questioned when he applies for his 10 years green card. But she told me that he has not applied yet for it, and I don't know if he will because he has like 2 weeks left until his conditional expires. I don't have hard core evidence that he used me, but I do have circumstantial, like that he got engaged to a girl back home even before our divorce was final.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kira Gagarin

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You aren't really seeking legal advice here so there is not much we can help you with. Your husband would get his 10 year green card if he can prove that me got married for the right reasons, even if that marriage didn't work out. If he cannot prove that, then his green card will be terminated. Good Luck.

  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Most likely he will, by invoking one of the numerous exceptions that exists to the I-751's joint filing requirement, among which good faith marriage, psychological cruelty, etc. USCIS only gives that much weight to accusatory letters or statements from disgruntled ex-spouses. If your ex will not get his "conditions" removed at the USCIS stage, he will then surely have them removed at the immigration court stage. They almost always do.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. Pablo Husayn Nossa

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Possibly. It depends on whether or not the marriage was bonafide and not for the sole purpose of immigrating. As the officer stated, he will likely be interviewed and they will inquire as to the legitimacy of the relationship.

    The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,881 answers this week

3,250 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,881 answers this week

3,250 attorneys answering