Will my disability be affected?

Norwalk, CA |

If my doctor has put me on disability before I was layed off, will my disability be affected? What happens next?

There isn't enough information here to answer the question. This depends on what kind of disability insurance (if any) you had with your company, what kind of layoff provisions they had etc. I would take a first step of contacting the Human resources department if it's a big company. If you had disability insurance there is a contractual issue there and without looking at the contract it's going to be very hard if not impossible to tell you what happens next. You can also call your disability insurance provider but I would not recommend that. You are better off with your own attorney. This is one where you really need to take your question to an attorney so he or she can review the documents. Best of luck.

As the other responder said you did not give much information. If you are asking are you eligible for a company disability plan because you were found disabled before you were laid off, then that fact would help. However, you do usually need to apply for such a benefit while still employed.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

Recommended articles about Employment