Will my DBA/Fictitious Business Name still be valid after I dissolve my LLC?

Asked about 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I filed a DBA before creating an LLC, but am currently in the process of dissolving the LLC. I would like to keep working under the business name through the DBA listing that I did previously in 2011. The DBA I would think is still valid for the 5 year run of DBAs in California, but since I filed the same name as an LLC I am unsure if the dissolving of the LLC affects my original fictitious business name filing.

1. Michael Charles Doland

19

Best Answer

Answered . If your dba was filed by you as an individual you are correct it lasts for 5 years, and should still be valid unlessyou re-registered the dba under the LLC. If you did , prudene says re-file.

2. Michael Raymond Daymude

16

1

Answered . You will need to file an amended statement, pay a new filing fee, and re-publish -- a small price to pay to keep your business name attached to your business.

3. William Randall Sgro

8

Answered . You are correct that a Dba is good for 5 years. The fact that you set the LLC up with the same name does not effect the Dba,. unless you assigned Dba to the LLC.

I hope this helps

W. Randall Sgro
    1609 Cravens Ave
    Torrance, Ca. 90501

4. Gary A Kester

9

Answered . You have been given advice by two prolific and respected attorneys in Mr. Daymude and Mr. Doland. I always read their responses and am always impressed. Other than that, I do not have anything to add.