Will my child receive post minority support if I did not ask the courts prior to child turning 19?

Asked over 1 year ago - Madison, AL

My child turned 19 in Septemeber .Ex filed for child support to stop in October. He owes no arrears. Divorce was in 1995, and I have not asked the court for any modifications since. Original paperwork does not go into detail in regards to post minority support. As to the paperwork to terminate the child support ; I responded to the papers that were served to me by stating that I do not want child support to stop because it would cause me to be in a financial burden . I have to attend a hearing what can I expect?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Regina Powers Hunter


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . It would have better if you filed sooner.

  2. Randy William Ferguson

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You will lose in my opinion. You must file before they turn 19.

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The... more
  3. Matthew Thomas Majeski


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . What your ex is doing is pretty much a formality. Unless there is some weird disability situation or something similar. Even then it would be a tough sell. I agree with counsel, you are likely to lose if you challenge it.

    Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,152 answers this week

3,029 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,152 answers this week

3,029 attorneys answering