Will my child receive post minority support if I did not ask the courts prior to child turning 19?

Madison, AL |

My child turned 19 in Septemeber .Ex filed for child support to stop in October. He owes no arrears. Divorce was in 1995, and I have not asked the court for any modifications since. Original paperwork does not go into detail in regards to post minority support. As to the paperwork to terminate the child support ; I responded to the papers that were served to me by stating that I do not want child support to stop because it would cause me to be in a financial burden . I have to attend a hearing what can I expect?

You will lose in my opinion. You must file before they turn 19.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.

It would have better if you filed sooner.

What your ex is doing is pretty much a formality. Unless there is some weird disability situation or something similar. Even then it would be a tough sell. I agree with counsel, you are likely to lose if you challenge it.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support