Will my child receive post minority support if I did not ask the courts prior to child turning 19?

Asked over 1 year ago - Madison, AL

My child turned 19 in Septemeber .Ex filed for child support to stop in October. He owes no arrears. Divorce was in 1995, and I have not asked the court for any modifications since. Original paperwork does not go into detail in regards to post minority support. As to the paperwork to terminate the child support ; I responded to the papers that were served to me by stating that I do not want child support to stop because it would cause me to be in a financial burden . I have to attend a hearing what can I expect?

1. Regina Powers Hunter

Pro

4

1

Answered . It would have better if you filed sooner.

2. Randy William Ferguson

1

1

Answered . You will lose in my opinion. You must file before they turn 19.

3. Matthew Thomas Majeski

Pro

Answered . What your ex is doing is pretty much a formality. Unless there is some weird disability situation or something similar. Even then it would be a tough sell. I agree with counsel, you are likely to lose if you challenge it.