Will my boy friend be entitled to half of the equity in home purchased in a prior marriage when we refinance?

Puyallup, WA |

I am the only person currently on the deed and my ex husband and myself are on the current loan. My boy friend and I are refinancing and putting both names on the mortgage and deed. If we parted would he be entitled to half of all the equity or only equity accrued after refinancing?

1. The answers depend on facts that are missing from your post.

For example, did the court award any interest in the property to the former husband?

What is the agreement between you and the boyfriend regarding how much each would contribute to the costs of the property? What about other costs in running the household?

How much is the property worth now?

What you should do is review the specific facts with your attorney to find out your legal options.

2. Too many facts are missing. You really need to schedule a meeting with a family law attorney in your area by searching for one on avvo's find a lawyer tool

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.