Will my bankruptcy follow me abroad

Asked over 3 years ago - Bronx, NY

I am form ireland and i have been living in the USA for over 2yrs. I am just about to go bankrupt in ireland and i am wondering if this will affect me in the USA when i go to get mortgage for a house , or my credit in general? someone told me it will not affect me here because it is a different country?? I am legal in the states thank you

1. Theodore W. Robinson

Answered . If your credit report recognizes whatever you did in Ireland in the past in order to make up a detailed report, then yes, it will probably follow you. Its the credit report you want to concern youself with rather than most other things.

You may want to consult with a bankruptcy attorney in the states.

2. Michael Hal Schwartz

Pro

Answered . Although this question has been amswered, I think the key is that IF the companies that you are discharging your debts with report that information to the credit bureaus used in the U.S. then yes, you will have a record of your filing.

3. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Answered . A bankruptcy in Ireland may not appear on your credit report, but the debts could follow you to the U.S. Check with an attorney in Ireland to find out if the creditors can pursue you in other countries against property in those countries. It could violate Irish law. In the U.S., a creditor subject to the laws of the U.S. cannot pursue a U.S. debt that is discharged by bankruptcy in the U.S. outside the U.S. without violating bankruptcy law.

You may want to consult with an NYC attorney who handles bankruptcies here as well, just in case.

[I am a Virginia-licensed attorney. This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

4. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

Answered . Are the debts from the US or from Ireland? If the debts are from the US, why would you file in Ireland? If the debts are from Ireland, are you eligible to file a Bankruptcy there?

You see, in the US, you have to live in the place where the court is located in order to be able to file Bankruptcy. I don't know if it is the same in Ireland, but that would be the first question I would ask.

As to your credit, if these debts are on your US Credit report, the bankruptcy is going to show up no matter where you file the bankruptcy. The credit bureaus obtain their information from your creditors, not from the court system.

Good luck!