Will my bail increase?

New Bedford, MA |

My family has put up $3500 for bail for me. As of right now, my case is in district court. Is it likely or can they increase my bail amount if my criminal case is moved to superior court?

1. Yes, it is possible. I'd have to know more about your case to speculate whether raising it is likely. But $3500 is fairly high for district court bail. Hopefully, the Superior Court DA will be satisfied with that. Your attorney may be able to give you more insight.

Attorney Lauren Craig Redmond ~ 617.953.6116 ~ No attorney/client relationship is established or implied by any email or phone conversation.

2. Bail is a function of likelihood of flight. If you show the court strong family ties, roots in the community, etc., there would be little reason for the court to raise the bail now.

Work with your attorney if you have doubts on this issue.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

3. It is possible.

Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

4. It could, but it depends on many factors.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

5. If your case is moved to Superior Court then the prosecution has the opportunity to argue for an increase in bail if he believes the District Court bail is not adequate to insure your return to court. Many factors are looked at when considering bail questions. Likewise, also depending on these same consideratons, your attorney can argue for a decrease in bail. Generally speaking though, unless there is an agreement to the contrary or developments in your case, the bail that was set in the District Court, if reasonable, will not be changed if your case moves to Superior Court. Bail issues however, should be discussed with the attorney handling your case.