Will my bail increase?

Asked over 2 years ago - New Bedford, MA

My family has put up $3500 for bail for me. As of right now, my case is in district court. Is it likely or can they increase my bail amount if my criminal case is moved to superior court?

1. Lauren Craig Redmond

6

Answered . Yes, it is possible. I'd have to know more about your case to speculate whether raising it is likely. But $3500 is fairly high for district court bail. Hopefully, the Superior Court DA will be satisfied with that. Your attorney may be able to give you more insight.

2. Keith G Langer

Pro

5

Answered . Bail is a function of likelihood of flight. If you show the court strong family ties, roots in the community, etc., there would be little reason for the court to raise the bail now.

Work with your attorney if you have doubts on this issue.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Henry Lebensbaum

4

Answered . It could, but it depends on many factors.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

4. Steven John Topazio

4

Answered . If your case is moved to Superior Court then the prosecution has the opportunity to argue for an increase in bail if he believes the District Court bail is not adequate to insure your return to court. Many factors are looked at when considering bail questions. Likewise, also depending on these same consideratons, your attorney can argue for a decrease in bail. Generally speaking though, unless there is an agreement to the contrary or developments in your case, the bail that was set in the District Court, if reasonable, will not be changed if your case moves to Superior Court. Bail issues however, should be discussed with the attorney handling your case.

5. Brian C. Pascale

Pro

2

Answered . It is possible.