Will my bad credit affect my girlfriends credit if we get married?

I have been with my Girlfriend for almost 3 years and I really want to ask her to marry me but got a divorce not to long ago and my credit is destroyed. Her credit is good and I don't want to marry her right now if my credit is going to mess hers up or if the creditors I owe are going in turn going to try and mess with her property to get the money I owe them.

Chesapeake, VA -

Sammid J Mansoor

Sammid J Mansoor

Estate Planning Attorney - Leesburg, VA

Typically individual credit issues will remain with the individual. Exceptions to this include when the individual account has been guaranteed, commonly "co-signed" by another individual. In these instances the co-signor's credit will also be affected by the actions of the original debtor.

When you get married, your individual credit will likely remain your own individual credit, unless your girlfriend co-signs or converts your accounts to joint accounts, which would bind her contractually to those debts.

There are several provisions and legal vehicles which may help protect your future wife's assets from your prior debts, and you should consult an attorney prior to getting married and implementing those tactics.

Additionally under the Virginia Married Womaen's Property Act, a woman may elect to hold wages and under property acquired during the marriage as her separate property, and Real Property may be held by either spouse under a separate equitable estate.

Good Luck and if you need further information, feel free to contact me.

Sam Mansoor, Attorney
Mansoor Law Firm, PLLC
50 Catoctin Circle NE #301
Leesburg, VA 20176
(703) 404-7733

Disclaimer
The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision & should not be based solely upon advertisements. This site presents general information & is not intended as legal advice. Accessing this page, & any interior pages, is a request for information. That notwithstanding, nothing on these pages, or on any pages linked to these pages, shall be construed as legal advice, nor shall anything on these pages by itself operate to create an attorney/client relationship. An attorney/client relationship cannot be created before the firm has accepted the representation. Acceptance cannot occur before the firm engages you with services & runs a conflict check & you have been notified that you are a client of the law office by email or other written means. Please do not make legal decisions without first having a direct one on one consultation with a Virginia Attorney or an Attorney in your area that knows the relevant facts of your case. www.loudounlawyer.com & www.theprincewilliamlawyer.com
[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

John Gerth Merna

John Gerth Merna

Bankruptcy Attorney - Chesapeake, VA

Your "bad credit" will not directly affect your girlfriend's credit score if you get married. However, if you also have "bad debt" which is still attempting or may attempt to collect through judgments, levies, garnishments or liens, her assets, if jointly titled, could be affected. For example, a joint bank account could be garnished.

You should look into how "bad" is your credit. If it is just late payments but the debt was paid. If your poor credit is a low score with outstanding debt that is unpaid then it is more than just "bad credit". You have a ticking time bomb of potential legal collection actions.

If the amount of debt is low you should consider credit counseling. If the amount owed is high then I would recommend also scheduling a free consultation with a bankruptcy attorney.

I hope this helped.

John G. Merna, Esq.
The Merna Law Group, PC
Chesapeake - Virginia Beach - Newport News
(757)340-4070
jmerna@mernalaw.com
www.MernaLaw.com