Will my arrest show up when I get my finger prints done for the Board of Education!!???

Staten Island, NY |

I was arrested a few months ago for having narcotics in car, however I had a prescription for it therefore the case was dismissed and sealed. When I get my fingerprints done for the Board of Education is it going to come up saying that I was arrested?? How does this work? Please help!

1. If it was dismissed and sealed then probably not. If it does show up and shows up as dismissed it shouldn't be used against you in hiring. I also believe that if you were denied licensing by the board you would be entitled to a hearing before that board at which point you could show your prescription paperwork and your record of dismissal. Feel free to call me at 516-587-9786 with any questions.

2. The Board of Education background check is more thorough than your standard background check, so I believe that it will show up. Since you had a prescription and the case was dismissed, it should not be used against you as a basis for denying you a position.

3. I believe that the Board of Education is an a category that is an exception to the general rule that sealed records don't show up. I believe that educational entities can see these records on a background check. Call the Department of Criminal Justice Services in Albany to get a definative answer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.