Will my application for green card be denied if my husband divorces me before my interview?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

I have been married to my US citizen husband now for 6 months and he left me for another woman. My application for my G/C has been filed. I just need to do the biometric. What do I do?

1. F. J. Capriotti III

5

Answered . You have problems.

Yes, if he divorces you ... or doesn't appear for the interview ... you will be denied.

Meet with an immigration lawyer as-soon-as-possible.

2. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

5

Answered . My colleagues are correct. There will be an interview in a separate meeting months after biometricts. If you husband does not show up, then it is likely that USCIS will deny the I-130 petition and adjustment.

There may be other options, but I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  3. Michael Colin Barrows

3

Answered . Yes. Divorce will result in a denial of your I-130. since your green card application is based upon your marriage.

4. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

1

Answered . It will likely be denied without him at the interview. File for divorce in family court based on abandonment and adultery. Then you might be able to do an I-360 vawa petition for your greencard alleging abuse or inhumane treatment. You may need to see a psychitriast to have a report to add to the petition.

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal righs. Good Luck!

THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C.
    “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE”

Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728
    E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com
    www.EstrellaLawyer.com