Will my application for Adjustment of Status be affected because I am out of status on my F-1 visa?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Portland, OR

I'm an international student attending university in the US on F-1 visa. This past term, due to confusion in grading, I became out of status and was told by my advisor that I need to apply for reinstatement. Just a week ago, I had submitted paper works to have my status adjusted to a resident through marriage to my American husband. I'm concerned that being out of status on my student visa will negatively impact my application.

Also, in three months' time, I will be graduating from college. If by then I had not been interviewed, can I still remain in the US and continue to wait for the application to be processed?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . When you file for adjustment of status, you stay is considered authorized by the Attoreny General. You have to file for EAD, if have not done so already, to be able to work.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Elliot M.S. Yi

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You may want to consult with an attorney beforehand.

    The Law Office of Elliot M.S. Yi, 2075 SW First Avenue, Ste 2J, Portland, Oregon, 97201 www.emsylaw.com; elliot@... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . No

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  4. Andrew Marino Bramante

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Being out of status on an F-1 visa will NOT keep you from adjusting status, and it will not be a weighty negative factor. When deciding whether to hire an attorney to help you with final document preparation and your interview, remember that the USCIS starts with the legal presumption that your marriage is fake. You must prove to a very high level of certainty that it is not, and you must generally do this with documentation. Good luck either way.

    Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with... more

Related Topics

Adjustment of immigration status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Student visas

Student and exchange visitor visas allow people to come to the United States temporarily for a specific educational or cultural purpose.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,807 answers this week

3,396 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,807 answers this week

3,396 attorneys answering