Will moving and getting re-married change my alimony?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Myers, FL

I pay alimony to my ex wife but I am moving to a new state because my fiancé got into school where she will be a full time student and can not work. We are also getting married soon. This move also comes with a pay cut due to the lower cost of living. Will this count as "substantial change of income" now that i am fully supporting her as well? If my alimony is not lowered i will not be able to support myself.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Tough question. You may be able to seek a modification due to the decrease in income, however, you should not stress the fact that you are fully supporting someone else as your reason for seeking to reduce the alimony. The analysis is that the change has to be involuntary - there could be an argument that it is voluntary because you are moving and you are "allowing" your new spouse to go to school and not work. I think that you need to at least consult with an attorney to discuss the specifics in your case - it is a very interesting issue that you present and you need some creative lawyering and good research and analysis on your side. Best of luck to you.

    This answer is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon for your particular case nor... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In order to be a substantial change in circumstances, the change must be involuntary. You getting married and moving to another state, making less money will not amount to what you need to prove. You will be held to the amount you are ordered to pay, unless and until you hire counsel to file a petition and either settle the case or have a trial.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unless your “substantial change” is involuntary, you do not qualify for a modification.

    This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Mallory Law Group, pursuant to an executed employment agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Earl K. Mallory

Related Topics


Alimony is the regular monetary allowance one ex-spouse may be required to pay the other after a divorce.

Howard M Lewis

Paying Alimony (Spousal Support)

Alimony, also known as maintenance or spousal support, refers to payments made by one spouse to the other after a couple divorces. These payments are for living expenses and/or child... more

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now