Will it revoke my US citizenship?

Arcadia, CA |

I am a US citizen but a naturally born Filipino. I will apply for a dual citizenship at the Philippine Consulate General in LA. I would just like to ask if it will revoke my US citizenship if I apply for a dual citizenship? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Thank you and God bless!!!

Applying for citizenship with the Philippines Consulate General will not cause your American citizenship to be revoked. The advantages and disadvantages for having dual citizenship will depend on why you want to have dual citizenship. Its best if you consult with an immigration attorney especially one who understands issues surrounding having dual or multiple citizenship.

The information is not legal advice and informational only. No attorney client relationship should be construed.

Generally no it will not automatically revoke your US citizenship. It is best to consult an attorney about the advantages and disadvantages of dual citizenship.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Repeat question. Already asked in slightly different format. Please read my previous answer. Your newly derived or acquired US citizenship will NOT be revoked because you apply for a Philippine passport at the Philippines consulate, the same way that my own US citizenship is not "revoked" each time I renew my Italian passport at the L.A. Consulate.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration