Will it hurt me to make small payments to a collection attorney who is taking me to court?

Asked over 1 year ago - Methuen, MA

Capital one retained an attorney to collect my debt of $2500.00 that I couldn't pay due to financial harship. In October, I received a letter from the attorney's office along with a blue carbon copy of a docket filed with the court which states a December 2013 magistrate hearing. I want to make payments monthly of whatever I can afford and don't know if this will hurt or help me. Any advice?

The small claims copy of notice of trial states that Capital One Bank specifically requests tha the Court not award pre-judgment interest. I'm assuming this is a good thing(?)

1. George Charles Samiotes

3

Answered . If you do not dispute that you owe the debt you can enter into an agreement in writing with the attorney where you pay what you can afford on a monthly basis. Try to get the other attorney to waive the interest owed if you can. Once the debt is paid in full have the opposing attorney dismiss the case.

2. Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel

3

Answered . December 2013 is so far away. I'm surprised a hearing was scheduled that far out. My advice would be to start putting away payments between now and December. When you have a good bit of money saved up, perhaps 50% or 60% of the amount they allege you owe, I would call them up and see if they will settle with you. This assumes that you owe the money and have no valid defenses.

3. Emma A. Kremer

2

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague's answer. If the credit card company has already obtained a judgment against you, which it sounds like it may have if you have not had to pay due to financial hardship, speak with the company or it's counsel to work out a payment agreement that you can bring to your next payment hearing. If this has not yet gone to court, try the same thing to avoid having to go to court. Such companies are generally very willing to enter into payment agreements because it means they get paid. Either way, be sure to get something in writing and retain a copy for your records. Best of luck.

One or more answers have been taken down.