Will I spend time in jail for first time DWI if convicted with a prior charge in Harris County?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Houston, TX

I was recently charged with First DWI .08 in Harris County. If I take this case to trial and lose will I face any jail time? My concern is missing work and getting fired. I have a Criminal Trespass conviction that was cleared through deferred adjudication in 2009 that was alcohol related.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. James Gary Sullivan


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is impossible to give a definitive answer. It all depends on the circumstances of the case, the court and the jury. A judge or jury could sentence you up to 6 months in jail, although most first time offenders receive probation. You should talk to a good local DWI defense attorney such as Jim Medley, Mark Theissen or Troy McKinney to discuss your options. Houston has many good DWI attorneys.

  2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Talk to a Harris County criminal defense attorney about the possibility of going to jail. There are many factors that go into a sentencing decision made by a judge and your attorney will figure all of that out for you!

    Good luck.

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship.... more
  3. David R. Lee


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . What the prior does mean is that you are ineligible for DIVERT (not a big loss in my book). You really have two viable choices.
    1. Save your money and plead guilty (BEAR IN MIND that this conviction will weigh on you like dragging around a complete, all iron 426 hemi, for the rest of your life), do your time, (they'll probably waive the fine (but not the court costs), and go about you biz. You'll lose you license, but when it's over, you can get it back (more complicated than you think) and live out the rest of your life, hopefully absolutely sober.

    2. Bite the bullet, pay the money (not an insiginificant sum for top flite assistance) and go to war(trial) . Troy McKinney, Gary Trichter or one of the other major hit men are good. Even they are not a guarantee of success. No one can offer you that in good conscience. And people, not just the creme de la creme, win DWI cases all the time. Lots of variables.

    You do not have a conviction that was cleared though DADJ. You have a charge that was cleared . . . unless it was a Class C case.

    This answer is in the nature of general information only and does not constitute legal advice or the formation of... more
  4. Thomas Lane Hooton

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Probably not unless there are other circumstances I do not know. You should get time served.

  5. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . You should be asking this of your lawyer. Your chance of winning an DUI trial without experienced counsel is minimal.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

    --- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page

    --- Field sobriety "tests"

    --- DUI/DWI/Drugged Driving with Prescription Drugs

    --- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Wisconsin

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,074 answers this week

2,822 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,074 answers this week

2,822 attorneys answering