Skip to main content

Will I serve time for contempt of court? I just found out that I have a warrant. Do I need a lawyer before I turn myself in?

Jacksonville, FL |

Please refer if I need an attorney

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, you should hire an attorney before you turn yourself in, but do so quickly. Also, it never hurts to have a friend head down to the clerk of court's office (if you go, they may arrest you before you've had a chance to speak with an attorney), check to see if the accusations pending against you are public record--if so--get copies of everything to share with the attorneys you speak with. Also, contempt of court can get you jail time, but it depends upon the judge and the reason for the contempt charge. Usually, a good attorney can explain away such charges, so go hire one!

Good Luck,


It depends largely on what the contempt charge is for: if it is a civil contempt charge then you should be able to "purge" and get out, but if it is criminal contempt then you may have some trouble.

I would agree that you need to either send someone to get your records or to look them up on the Clerk's computer, if public record, or seek out an attorney who will take a look for you and then advise.

If you give my office a call in the afternoon I will gladly take a look and let you know what I think.

Good luck


I agree with Mr Mosca's assessments and would suggest that you take him up on his offer to review the situation for you. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER I do not practice law in your State. This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer