Will I serve jail time?

Asked over 1 year ago - Greenville, NC

I'm 18 years old. I was charged with driving after consuming >21 yrs old. I registered a .06 BAC. According to my police reports I passed feild tests, was cooperative, and respectful. About 3 months later I was charged with another one I registered .07. However I believe I was stopped illegally on that one, as does my lawyer. I was in my aparment complex driving to my house and a girl in the front seat took a sip of a red solo cup. My window was down and the cop happend to see and said "Stop, what's in that cup?" I don't see that as enough for "probable cause." I don't think I was charged with DUI on either, but honestly I can't remember. My two questions to you are: Do you think that is enough ground for "probably cause?" And if I'm convicted of both, will I serve jail time?

1. Matthew Vernon Silva

Pro

6

Answered . Jail time will depend on your prior record. It is possible to serve time, but on the limited information you provided, I do not think that is a reality. In regard to probable cause, the real question is whether the police officer has RS (Reasonable Suspicion of criminal activity). As the Supreme Court has said time and time again, this is a case by case inquiry dependent on the facts alleged by the officer. From the information you provided, it does not appear that there was a sufficient bases to stop (seize) you. However, you should rely on your attorney's advice as he likely knows far more about your case than you have provided here. Good Luck!

2. Zachary Andrew Cohen

Pro

5

Answered . You have received some good advice and everything points to "hire a lawyer." It is up to the Judge to determine if "reasonable and articulable suspicion" existed to stop and detain you existed and it is up to the Judge to determine if "probable cause" existed to place you under arrest. You a qualified attorney to make arguments on your behalf. Best of luck.

3. Richard Timothy Jones

4

Answered . If you have a lawyer, you should listen to their advice. There is nothing inherently illegal about drinking from a disposable cup. Generally probable cause requires the observance of behavior that is inconsistent with innocent behavior. Absent some other suspicion then I think there is a problem with any stop and/or search.
    www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
    Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
    512-495-1813
    Search and Seizure Attorney
    Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
    Austin DWI Lawyer

4. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

4

Answered . If you have an attorney, I strongly suggest talking to them, as they will be in a much better position to answer your questions. If you're unhappy with you're attorney, you're free to fire them and hire somebody else. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen