Will i receive a forfeiture notice soon?

Asked over 1 year ago - Boulder, CO

a few months ago i had a postal inspector come to my door to ask about a package containing 12 grand. He did not tell me he was a federal postal inspector until i signed for the package(which was addressed to me) . After i signed he pulled out the badge and told me that they are going to forfeit the money and they see this a lot. He said that this kind of thing happens in CO through the mail because of people sending marijuana. He told me that he just wanted to ask a few questions to make sure that it wasn't for over ten pounds or harder drugs which he named. He did not have a chance to ask me anything because i told him i would not talk without an attorney present. It has been almost two months and that is all that has happened. I have not received any kind of forfeiture notice.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Richard Waldron Bryans Jr.

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . The answer to your question is "no," and if months have passed, it may be too late to assert a claim to the money. The reason is that according to the U.S. Department of Justice, administrative forfeiture is an in rem action that permits the federal seizing agency to forfeit the property without judicial involvement. The authority for a seizing agency to start an administrative forfeiture action is found in the Tariff Act of 1930, 19 U.S.C. ยง 1607. Property that can be administratively forfeited is: merchandise the importation of which is prohibited; a conveyance used to import, transport, or store a controlled substance; a monetary instrument; or other property that does not exceed $500,000 in value. You can read more about criminal and civil asset forfeiture at the DOJ website. The posting of public notices regarding forfeitures may be seen at www.forfeiture.com. You should consult with an experienced federal crime and forfeiture attorney about your circumstances.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,332 answers this week

2,978 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,332 answers this week

2,978 attorneys answering