Will I qualify for unemployment benefits?

Asked over 4 years ago - Forked River, NJ

I was denied unemployment benefits. I had to leave my job to finish my Bachelor's degree, and improve my employment opportunites. I have never collected unemployment benefits before, and have paid over 11,000 into unemployment insurance. I want to file an appeal.

1. Randall Philip Brett

Answered . You can appeal the denial of unemployment benefits, provided you do so within the time allowed. You should have been provided with information on how to file the appeal and by when, with the letter informing you of the denial. If you do not feel comfortable filing your own appeal or you did not receive this information with the denial letter, you should hire an attorney to represent you. However, based on the little information that you have provided here, I do not see a basis for an appeal. While obtaining a college degree is laudable, this by itself does not qualify you collect unemployment compensation benefits. You should discuss all of the facts with an attorney as you may have a valid reason to quit work which you have not expressed here.