Will I qualify for an unemployment claim?

Asked about 4 years ago - Adrian, MI

The company I work for is moving their corporate office which will make my drive triple, from 23 miles one way now to 75 miles one way once they move or 30 min to 1 hour 33 min on a good day baring no traffic jams. Is this just cause to quit my job once they move to the new office? I've read mixed information some say I should resign on good terms some say I should not tell anyone and then file under "Constructively Terminated". The last thing I want to do is go about this process wrong that could jeopardize me being able to collect while I finish up school and attempt to find another position somewhere within a reasonable distance.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Thomas A. White

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . The issue you have to be careful with is if you "voluntarily" quit then you are no longer eligible for MESC benefits. Before your question can be answered additional information would be needed. The type of job, the pay, etc. You may have a situation that allows for you to refuse to drive the extra mileage but before you go the "constructive discharge" route you should talk with an attorney. A brief coversation to an attorney could potentially save you from being disqualified from benefits.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,849 answers this week

2,723 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,849 answers this week

2,723 attorneys answering