Will I pass a background check is I have a misdemeanor on my record?

Minneapolis, MN |

I am currently looking for a job and all of them are stating that I would have to pass a background check. I have a Misdemeanor in theft in which the victim was where I worked. I was not convicted and was put on a continuance of dismissal and 1 year probation. I did not plead guilty. I'm having a hard time applying for jobs afraid that I will get rejected.

I have recently gotten my record expunged as well but it'll take a while for that to go through.

To make sure, request a Complete Criminal disposition from the criminal court's clerk and gather all expungement documents you cited and then present those to a local criminal attorney to determine whether your criminal history has been procedurally erased not to trigger any adverse hits for any employment background checks. I think your future is worth making sure.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

You'll want to verify that your expungement includes administrative agencies such as the Dept. of Human Services and MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. Some employers will ask on the application if you've had a disposition similar to continuance for dismissal or a diversion program. It really depends on the employer but it's best to be honest and explain the situation and any rehabilitative measures you've taken.