Will i need an attorney? what can i do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Wichita, KS

about 2 weeks ago i was involved in a rear end fender bender. i was at a stoplight and it turned green so we started moving and all of a sudden the car infront of me slams the breaks and i run into her, this happened at no more than 10 mph. we pulled over and looked at the cars. she said there wasnt anything on hers but a small dent. she said she wasnt gonna file a claim, but we still exchanged insurance info. and we both left. no police report filed. one week later she files claim and my insurance paid her $1500. i am now being charged with Failure to report accident, following too close, and no drivers license. they got my name wrong on the ticket when they mailed it. thats why they accused of no license, i have a full one. what can i do? do i need an attorney? i have mandatory court.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Heather A Lottmann

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You probably want a local traffic attorney to assist you. The driver's license issue you can likely handle on your own if you go to court on your scheduled hearing date and show that you do and at all times did have a valid license; however, the other ones are not so easy.

    The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. The information provided... more
  2. Christopher S Ison

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should definitely seek the advise and representation of a local attorney. A local attorney will be able to help you figure out the exact charges being leveled against you and will know how to handle them.

    These answers are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. These answer are... more
  3. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer to fight it.

  4. Albert Lee Crosner

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would definitely recommend getting a local (Wichita) traffic attorney to handle this with the court. He/she can review the matter with you and you will feel more comfortable having to attend the court session. Good luck.

    Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The... more
  5. Lars A. Lundeen


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . In order to avoid more problems, I suggest you retain an attorney to represent you at the court hearing. You have learned an important lesson here. You should always call a police officer to the scene of a crash, regardless of the circumstances.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Related Topics

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Traffic Tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Careless Driving

39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,572 answers this week

3,398 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,572 answers this week

3,398 attorneys answering