Will i need an attorney? what can i do?

Wichita, KS |

about 2 weeks ago i was involved in a rear end fender bender. i was at a stoplight and it turned green so we started moving and all of a sudden the car infront of me slams the breaks and i run into her, this happened at no more than 10 mph. we pulled over and looked at the cars. she said there wasnt anything on hers but a small dent. she said she wasnt gonna file a claim, but we still exchanged insurance info. and we both left. no police report filed. one week later she files claim and my insurance paid her $1500. i am now being charged with Failure to report accident, following too close, and no drivers license. they got my name wrong on the ticket when they mailed it. thats why they accused of no license, i have a full one. what can i do? do i need an attorney? i have mandatory court.

1. You should definitely seek the advise and representation of a local attorney. A local attorney will be able to help you figure out the exact charges being leveled against you and will know how to handle them.

These answers are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. These answer are not intended as legal advice either. If you would like legal advice as to your specific issue, you should contact an attorney to represent and/or advise you. If you are interested in retaining my office for legal advice and/or representation, please contact my office for a free initial consultation.

2. You probably want a local traffic attorney to assist you. The driver's license issue you can likely handle on your own if you go to court on your scheduled hearing date and show that you do and at all times did have a valid license; however, the other ones are not so easy.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action.

3. I would definitely recommend getting a local (Wichita) traffic attorney to handle this with the court. He/she can review the matter with you and you will feel more comfortable having to attend the court session. Good luck.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

4. Spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer to fight it.

5. In order to avoid more problems, I suggest you retain an attorney to represent you at the court hearing. You have learned an important lesson here. You should always call a police officer to the scene of a crash, regardless of the circumstances.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.