Will I need a lawyer for Slander?

Asked 2 months ago - Smithville, TN

My former employer is threatening slander to my name by informing the State Board of supposed “Mental Incompetence” Which can threaten my livelihood of Security Work.

I am certified by the Department of Commerce and Insurance Private Protective Services Board, and will be until the December 31, 2014.

However, I have quit this place of employment due to their poor management skills and lack of employee care.

Her threat is that “If I can see this many calls from a company and not respond, then I am not mentally capable or sound enough to carry a weapon.”

The worry that I have is that with her having friends on the board she would be able to do detrimental harm to my future chances of work.

What should I be doing about this?

There is documented proof (Several Voice Mails)

1. Remington Way Fang

2

Answered . I would seek the counsel of an attorney in your area.

There are several causes of action that could cover your particular situation including Public Dissemination of Private Information and Slander.

In each scenario, if the injury has not been sustained (if the person has not yet slandered you), it is not actionable.

Again, please seek the advice of an attorney who can rule out or discover any possible causes of action.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

Answered . The statement that you quote is opinion and not actionable as defamation
    in any state. Even without that problem, if you initiate an action, you will have the burden of affirmatively proving by admissible evidence that you are "sound enough" to carry a weapon. Most mentally capable folks would exercise their judgment and discretion against volunteering for that expensive, effortful and uncertain in outcome challenge.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

Answered . I am not sure these comments are worth worrying about, they can be taken as simply her dissatisfaction with how you were doing your job.