Will I need a lawyer for Slander?

Smithville, TN |

My former employer is threatening slander to my name by informing the State Board of supposed “Mental Incompetence” Which can threaten my livelihood of Security Work.

I am certified by the Department of Commerce and Insurance Private Protective Services Board, and will be until the December 31, 2014.

However, I have quit this place of employment due to their poor management skills and lack of employee care.

Her threat is that “If I can see this many calls from a company and not respond, then I am not mentally capable or sound enough to carry a weapon.”

The worry that I have is that with her having friends on the board she would be able to do detrimental harm to my future chances of work.

What should I be doing about this?

There is documented proof (Several Voice Mails)

I would seek the counsel of an attorney in your area.

There are several causes of action that could cover your particular situation including Public Dissemination of Private Information and Slander.

In each scenario, if the injury has not been sustained (if the person has not yet slandered you), it is not actionable.

Again, please seek the advice of an attorney who can rule out or discover any possible causes of action.

I am not sure these comments are worth worrying about, they can be taken as simply her dissatisfaction with how you were doing your job.

My offices does represent people from Avvo if they contact me but only in the Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside County in Southern California. The answers I give here are not meant to create an attorney client relationship. When accepting clients I conduct interviews face to face and they often take 30 minutes or more. I approach trials and issues from a legal and common sense approach, This is how the majority of judges I have appeared before in 40 years also make decisions. I do not intend by my advice to enter an attorney client relationship and in most cases advise to obtain legal representation. Sometimes if you can not afford it a consultation or limited scope representation is available. As an experienced attorney I can tell you, judges can be impatient, hate emotional arguments and over exagerations or lies. A brief outline of the problems and desired solutions is often best and I d0 limited scope representations advise clients on how to proceed at time of hearing or trial and my fees are considerably less when I do not appear in court as it takes much less of my time.

The statement that you quote is opinion and not actionable as defamation
in any state. Even without that problem, if you initiate an action, you will have the burden of affirmatively proving by admissible evidence that you are "sound enough" to carry a weapon. Most mentally capable folks would exercise their judgment and discretion against volunteering for that expensive, effortful and uncertain in outcome challenge.

NOTHING SAID HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE! Read this notice BEFORE you contact me! My posts on Avvo in response to the public's questions are never offered as legal advice. Do not rely on any response posted by me as applicable to your specific problem or circumstances. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions - Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my law firm. My law firm does not provide free consultations. See http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/free-consultation-the-purposes-and-utility-of-free-for-potential-clients-and-for-attorneys for further details on that issue. Please do not call or email me with a “few questions.” I give advice, make recommendations, and answer specific questions only after reviewing the documentary record and other evidence applicable to a specific client, and only in the course of or following a conference with my client in which all of the relevant information can be identified and developed. AND I give legal advice ONLY in the course of an attorney-client relationship created and defined by a written contract for services, signed by my client and by me or a member of my firm, for which payment has been made. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; professional (State or federal licensing agency) discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic disputes involving universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We accept grievances, administrative claims, arbitrations, mediations, negotiations, and other non-litigation matters pertaining to employment, hospital and facility privileges, tenure, and contractual disputes. We conduct seminars and training in employment law for employers and union advocates, and in issues of professional/occupational licensing law for criminal defense attorneys. We accept NO contingency work, and we take no matters for which CCP discovery is applicable.