Will I need a lawyer for Slander?

Asked 2 months ago - Smithville, TN

My former employer is threatening slander to my name by informing the State Board of supposed “Mental Incompetence” Which can threaten my livelihood of Security Work.

I am certified by the Department of Commerce and Insurance Private Protective Services Board, and will be until the December 31, 2014.

However, I have quit this place of employment due to their poor management skills and lack of employee care.

Her threat is that “If I can see this many calls from a company and not respond, then I am not mentally capable or sound enough to carry a weapon.”

The worry that I have is that with her having friends on the board she would be able to do detrimental harm to my future chances of work.

What should I be doing about this?

There is documented proof (Several Voice Mails)

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Remington Way Fang

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would seek the counsel of an attorney in your area.

    There are several causes of action that could cover your particular situation including Public Dissemination of Private Information and Slander.

    In each scenario, if the injury has not been sustained (if the person has not yet slandered you), it is not actionable.

    Again, please seek the advice of an attorney who can rule out or discover any possible causes of action.

  2. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The statement that you quote is opinion and not actionable as defamation
    in any state. Even without that problem, if you initiate an action, you will have the burden of affirmatively proving by admissible evidence that you are "sound enough" to carry a weapon. Most mentally capable folks would exercise their judgment and discretion against volunteering for that expensive, effortful and uncertain in outcome challenge.

    NOTHING SAID HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE! Read this notice BEFORE you contact me! My posts on Avvo in response to the... more
  3. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I am not sure these comments are worth worrying about, they can be taken as simply her dissatisfaction with how you were doing your job.

    My offices does represent people from Avvo if they contact me but only in the Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,387 answers this week

3,295 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,387 answers this week

3,295 attorneys answering