Will I lose my TN work visa by enrolling in drug diversion program?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

I have a TN work visa and I am charged with CA Health and Safety Code 11550. If my Criminal Defense lawyer can help me to enroll in the 18-month PC 1000 diversion program and my visa is not expiring within the period, will I have any chance to lose my work visa? Can I still leave the country during the 18 months?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Mario Steven Zapata


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Just like you retained a criminal attorney to review/analyze your criminal matter, and represent you before the court, you too should retain an attorney to answer the questions you are asking. I definitely will not recommend you travel outside the country as you are talking about a controlled substance crime. Get a copy of your criminal disposition, and seek paid help. For contacts to local immigration attorneys, I suggest going to www.aila.org.

    Good luck!

    Legal disclaimer: (714) 479-1000 Mr. Zapata's response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts... more
  2. Neil F. Lewis


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hey buddy! What effect state law has on your immigration future can be best answered by an immigration lawyer familiar with California law. No one else will know.

    I am a pretty smart guy, but I do not know everything. My answers here come from the knowledge I carry around in... more
  3. Harry Asatrian

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You definitely need the assistance of an immigration attorney who knows both criminal and immigration law.

    This is not legal advise and should not be construed as such by anyone.

Related Topics

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Employment visa

Employment-based immigration visas are divided into five types of visas (EB-1 through EB-5), each of which have different requirements.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,832 answers this week

3,038 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,832 answers this week

3,038 attorneys answering