Will I lose my job if I go to basic training?

Asked over 1 year ago - Raleigh, NC

I want to become a reservist with the military but I'm afraid that I will lose my job if I go to basic training. and then officer training to follow Is your job protected under federal law if you go to military training?

1. David B. Puryear Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . Your job should be protected under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA). USERRA protects civilian job rights and benefits for veterans and members of the active and Reserve components of the U.S. armed forces. USERRA provides that returning service-members must be promptly reemployed in the same position that they would have attained had they not been absent for military service, with the same seniority, status and pay, as well as other rights and benefits determined by seniority. The US Department of Labor, through the Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS), has enforcement authority if you lose your job and want to pursue a complaint. See the link below. You also have the right to seek a court remedy for a violation of USERRA.

2. Andrew David Cherkasky

Best Answer

Answered . Generally, you will not lose your job. I could go on about the conditions and situations, but the following link is a remarkably comprehensive answer to your question by the Justice Department.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/nce/documents/Emplo...

3. Philip Douglas Cave

Pro

Answered . The federal law applies.
    Here is a link to help educate your employer.
    http://www.esgr.mil/

4. Anthony Scott Simpson

Answered . USERA requires your employer to hold your job for up to five years. Do not resign when you go to training. If your employer threatens to fire you anyway let your command JAG or legal office know.