Will i lose my home if i am not on the home loan?

Asked 8 months ago - San Carlos, CA

my husband and i are buying a home in CA as our primary residence. he is the only one on the loan. we will be transferring his deed from "married man as his sole and separate property" to "community property with right of survivorship" soon after we close escrow.

my concern is: if he was to pass away, God forbid, and since i am a stay at home mom, would i have to apply for the home loan in order to keep the home since the home loan is only in his name?
confused about all of this. any info is greatly appreciated!

1. Chi Leung Ip

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . It does not matter that your name is not on the loan. This only means that you are not personally responsible to make the payment. Of course, as the prior counsel's advice, that will be no issue as long as the loan is current at all time. Edward C. Ip www.lawyer4property.com

2. Cheryl Rivera Smith

3

Answered . As long as you continue to make the payments on the loan after his death, if he is the first to die, you will not lose your home. Being on the loan documents is of no benefit to you.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

Answered . I agree with Cheryl. Unless a divorce occurs.