Will I lose an annuity IRA within an insurance co. if I go bankrupt?

Asked over 1 year ago - Glenwood Springs, CO

I don't know what more to add

1. Deborah F Bowinski

8

Best Answer

Answered . If your annuity is truly a tax qualified IRA annuity then it would remain safe in a bankruptcy filing. Bankruptcy can be quite complex and there is a lot at risk. You would be well advised to consult with and retain an attorney to assist you.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

4

Answered . Ask bankruptcy counsel anything to do with a possible bankruptcy. Good luck.

3. Diane L Gruber

Pro

5

Answered . If it is a real IRA, no.

4. Richard Edmund Hawkins

Pro

4

Answered . Federal law protects properly formed IRAs, even if there is no applicable sate exemption

If it is just a policy that an insurance salesman likes to call an IRA, you would need to look at the exemptions.

And take a hard look at it--insurance companies tend to charge several times as much in expenses as companies like Fidelity and Vanguard.

5. E Dwight Taylor

2

Answered . I agree with my collegues generally, but I don't know what you mean by "an annuity IRA within an insurance co." To get an anwer you can depend upon, visit with bankruptcy counsel and provide a description of the IRA with specificity. Good luck!