Will i loose my disability benefits if i get married?

Asked about 2 years ago - Denver, CO

I am on disability for bipolar and depression. i am thinking about getting married will i loose my benefits?

1. Inga L Stevens

5

Answered . That depends. If you receive SSDI, which is based on money you paid into the system though employment, then no, you would not lose benefits by getting married. SSI benefits, however, have income guidelines, so you could lose benefits if your spouse has income or assets that exceed those limits.

2. Clifford Michael Farrell

Pro

2

Answered . My colleague's response is correct. I add that if you are on disabled adult child benefits which arre awarded to people who become disabled before age 22, you cannot be married. If you get married, that type of benefits eligibility is lost forever.

You may wish to get a free initial consultation with an attorney who can ask a few more questions and give you a more complete response. You may contact your local city, county or state bar association to see if they have a lawyer referral program, or you may contact the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR) for the name and email address or telephone number of attorneys in your area. Most attorneys who do any amount of Social Security work are members of NOSSCR and provide a free initial consultation. In any event, no attorney may charge a fee for work on a social security claim until it has been approved by Social Security. The fee limit is a maximum of 25% of past due or back due benefits you are owed, and many lawyers charge less than the full 25%, and the money is not paid until your claim has been approved.

The telephone number for the lawyer referral service of NOSSCR is 1-800-431-2804. NOSSCR's website is www.nosscr.org.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

3. Francis Emory Springfield

2

Answered . Be careful. As said earlier, if your benefits are SSI (supplemental security benefits) and not SSDI (social security disability insurance) getting married could cause you to loose your benefits. If your fiancé is on SSI or SSDI this income may not be used to disqualify you from continuing to get your SSI.

4. Robert West

Answered . SSI, quite possibly, SSDI absolutely not.