Will I have to start over if I change my social security number and name?

Asked 7 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

I'm a victim of domestic violence, from this site and my group therapy classes I found out that I can do a relocation program with the state of California that includes a name change, if I want. My question to you all is do I have to start over if they do seal up my name change, for protection, and help me change my social security number? By starting over I mean, what would be the process of getting a new drivers license, will I have to start over credit wise? (My credit is actually really good)

1. Rebecca M. Perkins

3

Answered . I am willing to bet that the relocation program has all of the information you need.

2. Stephanie O Joy

1

1

Answered . Hello, and thank you for your question. I agree with the first professional. I will also add that it is my understanding that when you are eligible (very rare) for a new SS # due to domestic violence type situation that your quarterly earnings credits will transfer with you. However, I do not believe your "credit history" will transfer with you, and the reason may be that to do that, you'd be telling all of these companies of your new name and the conversion would no longer be confidential and everything you are really trying to protect would be gone. That being said, it does not take very long to build a new credit history in your new identity.

3. Robert R. Pagniello

Answered . I agree with the previous two writer that you will be able to reestablish your credit and financial identity. It wil take some time but leaving behind all of the bad past experiances makes it worth the price.