Will i have to pay this fine? (juvenile)

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hemet, CA

a few months ago, i received a ticket for fighting at a park outside of school. i am only 17, so when they issued the ticket they ordered me and my parents to show up to court. my parents have both kicked me out of the house and i live with my grandmother. she tried to take me in to fight the ticket, but they denied her because she isnt technically a legal guardian. so they extended 30 days onto my case. i begged and pleaded with my parents to come with me so i wouldnt have to pay the ticket. they refused. my dad told me he would get a note notarized anything my grandmother is my legal guardian and can take me in. but the date passed and no note. so he got a ticket in the mail in MY name not my parents, saying i owe 480$. what can i do? i CAN NOT afford this ticket. I have NO money..

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Andrew Stephen Roberts


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am sorry for your situation . It's unfortunate that your parents were not there for you . Speaking with a social worker might help with this. Maybe you can get court to convert fine into community service.

  2. Jason Robert Miller

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should go to the court where the ticket was issued and request the court clerk to place the matter on calendar. Then show up at the date and time that the matter is calendared and request community service in lieu of paying a fine.

    The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact... more
  3. Kasie Waiyee Lee

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . First of all, relax. If the only thing you owe is $480, be happy that there isn't any case pending against you in juvenile court. This appears to be just an infraction, like a traffic ticket.

    Continue to do what you are supposed to be doing. Listen to grandma, obey her rules, refrain from drug or alcohol use, and go to school everyday. Have grandma take you back to the court where the ticket was issued and ask to see the judge to see if you can have the fine converted to community service (like volunteer work at a nonprofit agency). If they see that you are behaving and trying to do well, most judges and/or district attorneys will give someone in your situation a break.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,916 answers this week

3,357 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,916 answers this week

3,357 attorneys answering