Will i have to pay alimony if my wife left 9 months ago and i go to file for divorce.

Asked over 1 year ago - Troy, NY

My wife never really worked in the 8 years of being married and she never cleaned the house took care of the kids or did anything at that matter, we have been split up for over 9 months now and she has sleepet with other people and has a boyfriend currently, i have the kids and i want to file for divorce but i feel that i don't owe her a dime if anything she owes me but i don't want anything out of her the question is will i have to pay alimony once i start to file for divorce.

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . Alimony in NYS is called spousal maintenance. You should consult with a local lawyer to go over the factors in determining spousal maintenance there a several to consider; length of marriage, income level of parties, standard of living and many more. Also, ask for custody of the children and child support from your wife.

2. Lori Noel Bovee

3

1

Answered . It depends on a number of factors, including your income, her work history and if she's living with this boyfriend/he's supports her financially. You should consult with a local attorney to go over the specific facts of your case and determine the best way to proceed.

3. Lawrence Allen Weinreich

1

1

Answered . Alimony is now called maintenance. If she is living with someone then you probably won't pay maintenance. Unfortunately, the courts look at marriage as an economic partnership and just like in the real world the partners split the assets no matter what they contributed the same goes with the marriage. Speak to a divorce lawyer about what you should do.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.