Will i have to pay alimony if my wife left 9 months ago and i go to file for divorce.

Troy, NY |
Filed under: Divorce Alimony

My wife never really worked in the 8 years of being married and she never cleaned the house took care of the kids or did anything at that matter, we have been split up for over 9 months now and she has sleepet with other people and has a boyfriend currently, i have the kids and i want to file for divorce but i feel that i don't owe her a dime if anything she owes me but i don't want anything out of her the question is will i have to pay alimony once i start to file for divorce.

Alimony in NYS is called spousal maintenance. You should consult with a local lawyer to go over the factors in determining spousal maintenance there a several to consider; length of marriage, income level of parties, standard of living and many more. Also, ask for custody of the children and child support from your wife.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

It depends on a number of factors, including your income, her work history and if she's living with this boyfriend/he's supports her financially. You should consult with a local attorney to go over the specific facts of your case and determine the best way to proceed.

Alimony is now called maintenance. If she is living with someone then you probably won't pay maintenance. Unfortunately, the courts look at marriage as an economic partnership and just like in the real world the partners split the assets no matter what they contributed the same goes with the marriage. Speak to a divorce lawyer about what you should do.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

Recommended articles about Divorce