Will I go to jail if I turn myself in on an outstanding bench warrant state of Maryland

Greenbelt, MD |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I just found out that I have a bench warrant for failure to appear for court for a traffic ticket in montgomery county, md. I requested a a new court date but was denied and told to turn myself in and then I will receive a new trial date. what is going to happen when I turn myself in? i have a 4 year old son and no one to take care of him.

1. If you have a bench warrant out for your arrest, then I highly recommend you obtain an attorney. Having a bench warrant is a big deal, but depending on the particular facts of your case, it might be possible to have the warrant quashed before you wind up in lockup (sometimes having an attorney vouch that you will be at a follow-up hearing helps). Proceed with caution.

2. If you have a bench warrant out for your arrest, then I highly recommend you obtain an attorney. Having a bench warrant is a big deal, but depending on the particular facts of your case, it might be possible to have the warrant quashed before you wind up in lockup (sometimes having an attorney vouch that you will be at a follow-up hearing helps). Proceed with caution.