Skip to main content

Will I go to jail if I don't pay $10k Atlantic city casino marker?

Brooklyn, NY |

I lost all my money and can't pay this marker off.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. It is likely a civil and not a criminal matter.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

  2. Failure to pay back a debt is not a criminal offense, although they will likely commence an action to secure a judgment against you for the amount due. If you are the same person who posted a similar question regarding bankruptcy, please see that answer as well for additional details.

    If you find this answer useful, please mark it as "Helpful". Likewise, if you believe it is the most responsive, please mark it as the "Best Answer". The information provided herein is for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon or construed as legal advice or legal opinion. You should not rely upon the information provided at this site without seeking individual advice from an attorney. No attorney-client relationship can be assumed or created by this post.

  3. My hunch is that it is not criminal (unless there is fraud) but I suggest you post this in the New Jersey Avvo criminal section.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  4. My experience with casino debt is that they will likely seek to get a civil judgment against you and collect the debt that way. Speak with a local attorney that specializes in consumer debt defense and/or bankruptcy.

  5. It would be a criminal offense in Nevada. Hope this perspective helps!