Skip to main content

Will i go to jail for violation of probation for disorderly conduct?

Detroit, MI |

i was supposed to take a assaultive behavior class as part of my probartion and i didnt end up taking it? im just curious as to weather or not i will be sentanced to jail time

Attorney Answers 4

  1. In most misdemeanor cases, so long as the statute on which your conviction was based has a jail term, i.e. 90 or 93 days, you risk incarceration for a violation of probation. This would include disorderly conduct.

    In your case, the judge will have discretion as to whether to place you in jail. Usually, a sentencing judge will review a recommendation from probation. Thus, the judge's discretion is often exercised in conjunction with your relationship with your PO. If it's not too late, you should try to at least enroll in a class. That way, when you report to the hearing, you can at least tell the judge that you have not completed the class, by that you enrolled.

    Good luck.

  2. In Pennsylvania failure to take the class could trigger a violation hearing before the judge. Typically, they will give you an additional chance to remedy the situation.

    Christopher Bokas, Esq.

  3. Any violation of a term of probation can end up you up in jail. It is up to the probation officer if he wants to violate you and then up to the judge what he wants to do. When you were sentenced the judge would have said “X number of days in jail, suspended upon . . . ”

    Steven A Heisler, Esq
    313 566 0000

  4. Ultimately whether or not you will end up in jail depends on the judge, mitigating factors regarding the case (and why you did not complete the requirements), the probation officers recommendation and more.

    In order to answer the question with more certainty, I'd need to know who you are in front of .

    -Scott Aaronson
    248-956-1165 -Free Consultations

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics