Skip to main content

Will I go to jail for larceny over $250 for pawning in jewelry?

Lawrence, MA |

I was charged for larceny over $250 for pawning in jewelry, I got a letter to go into court. I am just 19 years old and it was my first offense and my record is clean, is it possible that I could get jail time, or could I work something out for probation, and if I do get hit with a big fine, is there any possible way I could do community service?

Attorney Answers 5


In my experience, both as a former prosecutor and as a defense attorney, it is my opinion that it is unlikely that you face jail time. However, I would have to first read the police report and speak to anyone (including you) in person to give a better and informed assessment of the case.

All the options you mention are within reach. Also, consider the possibility that an experienced attorney may be able to fight the charge and get a dismissal or a not guilty verdict!

My suggestion is that you contact a criminal defense attorney ASAP and schedule a consultation in private and in confidence.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Law Office of Ilir Kavaja
30 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116

(617) 515-5545

The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

9 lawyers agree


You need to hire a criminal defense attorney ASAP to represent you. First time offenders are treated differently than repeat offenders. Your attorney should be able to negotiate a settlement without you going to jail. You may be placed on probation, make restitution for an loss, a fine and/or court costs. Get counsel!

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Hire a criminal lawyer. As a youthful offender you may be eligible for pre trial intervention or other programs.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Unless the facts are extraordinarily egregious, the odds are very minimal.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


1. Is it possible you could get jail time? Yes. Is it likely? No.
2. Could you work something out for probation? Yes, that is very likely.
3. A big fine is very unlikely.
4. Community Service is commonly ordered.
Now, you say "I got a letter to go into Court". If you received a "Notice of Hearing on an Application for Criminal Complaint" then you will have a hearing before a Clerk-Magistrate of the Court and the Clerk will decide whether a criminal complaint will be issued against you. If your case is in Lawrence District Court you are fortunate as Lawrence is a good court to be in. THIS IS A CHANCE TO KILL THE CASE AND AVOID HAVING A CRIMINAL RECORD. YOU SHOULD GET A GOOD CRIMINAL LAWYER IN THE LAWRENCE AREA TO GO TO THE HEARING WITH YOU. Nobody wants to have a criminal record for larceny because that will brand you as a thief and no one wants to hire a thief. If you received a "Summons To Defendant" then a criminal complaint has already been issued against you and you want to have a lawyer represent you. You are only 19 and you have a clean record; a good criminal lawyer can help you to keep your record clean. Don't screw around with this. Get a lawyer.

Robert D. Lewin, Attorney
Offices in ANDOVER, MA and MALDEN, MA
Tel. 781-322-2228
Fax. 781-322-6351

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics