Will I go to jail for driving without a license.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Colorado Springs, CO

i'm in the Army, and I was selected for a random vehicle check coming through the gate on post. I've never had a drivers license. if I do have to go to jail can I postpone it. i'm getting out of the Army in a little over a month and if I go to jail while i'm in, I could get kicked out instead of getting an honorable discharge. I have court in two days.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christopher Daniel Leroi


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If your license is under revocation, suspension, or denial, then there is a mandatory 5-day jail sentence. There is the possibility of jail for driving without a valid license. However, in 21 years as a judge, prosecutor, and defense attorney, I have yet to see someone sentenced to jail on a first driving without a valid license offense. Normally there is just a fine and court costs. However, you should be talking with your JAG attorney on base and consulting with a traffic/criminal defense attorney in the Springs. Time is ticking.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in... more
  2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . My colleagues have given you good advice. There is a rather large difference between driving without an operator's license and driving under restraint. If you simply have never had a license, go get it. if you were under revocation, the ramifications are much more severe. Speak with your JAG representative to ge some additional guidance.

    Best of luck and -- most importantly -- thank you for your service!

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship.... more
  3. James C Underhill Jr.

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Why don't you have a license? If the answer is "I never bothered" then get a license, see the DA before court and plead stupid. Explain you are in the service, a conviction may screw up your discharge, and that you're a hero. Beg and assure that you'll never do something like this again. If you plan to leave the state after discharge, throw that in as well.

    The best bet is to find a good lawyer who provides advice on this kind of issue on a regular basis and review your specific facts; the lawyer will be able to give you an analysis of the law and your options.

    By the way, some attorneys sell "unbundled" or "limited" legal services where you pay for just what you need and can afford.

    Jim Underhill
    Neighborhood Law Office
    7225 E. Hampden, Unit C
    Denver, CO 80224

    NOTICE— This answer is based upon a partial understanding of the facts and may not be relied upon as legal... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,729 answers this week

2,633 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,729 answers this week

2,633 attorneys answering