Will i go to jail? is there a warrant out for my arrest?

Columbia, MD |

i got into an single car "accident" (car skid into the guardrail) and the police officer ended up running my license and it was suspended. i wasnt aware that it was. i never got the notice in the mail that said i needed to attend a driving approvement class after my license was suspended last year for a speeding ticket i failed to pay in thirty days ( i didnt have the money). after the accident. he gave me two tickets and released me. im just now looking at the ticket and i realized i was supposed to see a commissioner in 72 hours or there could be a warrant out for my arrest and its been almost a week. i can not be thrown in jail i live by myself i have no family or friends to bail me out.

You can look your case up on Maryland Judiciary Case Search. If there is a warrant it would show there. You can also call the District Court Commissioner and ask.

The appearance before the commissioner is simply is simply to advise you that you have a right to have counsel and may apply to the Public Defender if you cannot afford a lawyer and to make sure you know your charges and possible penalties. They will also either give you a court date or tell you that you will receive it in the mail.

You should work diligently to clear up any suspensions and not drive until that has happened.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Try checking the citation number(s) on Maryland Case Search:

If you do have a warrant, but you do not otherwise have a criminal record or failures to appear, then you might be released on your own recognizance or a nominal bail.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

I find this very unlikely. You are probably reading the citation incorrectly. A driving suspended citation is a "must appear" charge, meaning that you cannot simply pay it. A trial date will be scheduled and you will receive a notice to appear fro trial. Appearing before a commissioner is not a normal component of such a ticket. Make an appointment to see a lawyer about representation, or apply for the PD. Driving on a suspended license carries up to 12 points on your license, $1,000 fine and a year in jail, although none of those penalties are likely on your facts. If the suspension is solely for unpaid tickets, then the points and penalties are much much lower; also, paying the tickets will lift the suspension, and in most cases, the prosecutor will drop the driving suspended charge upon proof that you cleared the suspension up. Get a lawyer to review the tickets for you, and represent you in court.