Will I go to jail????

Orlando, FL |

I was arrested for petit , less than $100) a few days ago in Orlando FL where I live,spend a few hours in jail before getting bonded out.my courtdate is in about a month..this is my first charge as an adult.I DiD get arrested when I was 16 for domestic violence but the judge dropped the case.does this count??

If you do not have any prior offenses it is very unlikely that you will go to jail for the petit theft. If the domestic violence case was dropped, it legally cannot be used against you.

i went to court the other day...the judge wanted to give me a day in jail.so i plead no contest &got the public defender.she's now trying to get me into the pre trial diversion program.the judge said i have a clean record but the other people that the public defender was talking to(idk who they are) brung up the DV charge when i was 16 &said that because of that it's a 50/50 I'll be accepted for the program.what the hell???

Highly unlikely, however you still should retain the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area.

Thanks,I just really don't have the money for a lawyer.

Probably not but your main goal is to resolve this case without being convicted so that one day you can clear your record. Because of your lack of prior record you have several options. Call me if you would like to discuss your case. Good luck.

http://www.brycefetter.com/SHOPLIFTING.html

Thank u! I talked to a few lawyers and they pretty much told me I should plead no contest &should try &get a pre trial diversion program

Bryce Aric Fetter

Bryce Aric Fetter

If you plea no contest then you will not be eligible for the pre-trial diversion program. Those are two different routes. You need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to handle this for you. If you can not afford to hire a good lawyer then you need to ask for the services of the public defender. You get one shot at this and you want it done the right way or it will follow you forever.

When & how do I ask for a public defender?

Bryce Aric Fetter

Bryce Aric Fetter

in court at your arraingment

K.but will.bb I be able to talk to him/her first?? &what do I plea if I want a diversion program? I have no clue,this never happened to me before.I'm completely lost

Bryce Aric Fetter

Bryce Aric Fetter

No, you don't get to talk to him first and you probably won't even be able to talk to him or her that day. That is the difference between the public defender and a private attorney. Plea not guilty.

no

It is highly unlikely that you will go to jail on this petit theft charge. If the domestic violence charge was dropped that cannot be used against you. If this was your first offense, usually the State Attorney will offer you a Misdemeanor Intervention Program . If you sucessfully complete it they will enter a no prosecute which will allow you to seal your record. Good luck.

Sincerely,
B. Elaine Jones, Esq..

Thank u,what should I plead though?

Betty Elaine Jones

Betty Elaine Jones

It is hard to say without talking to you further. If you committed the theft and you think they have you on video or a witness saw you, I would say accept the State's offer for MIP, which is basically considered a No Contest plea.

I practice in Orlando and I can tell you it is highly unlikely you will go to jail. What is more pressing is whether you can get into a diversion program so you can get your theft case dropped. Call us if you have any more questions.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at bill@thelawman.net and put AVVO in the subject line.