Will I get my citizenship if I dont provide enough child support evidence to uscis ??

Asked about 1 year ago - Kansas City, MO

I had my interview and passed my test but u was requested to provide more evidence in terms of child support. I'm not in child support and have never been on child support. My son use to live with me until his mother up and left to another state . I send money when ever possible , how will this affect me getting my citizenship ? I have my receipts and a letter from the mom stating what I just said above.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

19

Answered . If the court ordered you to pay child support, you must demonstrate that you are in compliance.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Daniel Warren Thomann

6

Answered . Failure to support dependents can bar naturalization if the adjudicator thinks it is evidence that you lack "good moral character" - even if no support has been ordered by a court. Supporting your children can be seen as a moral obligation, which is why the N-400 asks if you have ever failed to support your dependents or pay alimony without making reference to any court ordering you to do so. Failure to pay does not require them to deny your application, but it gives them some discretion to do so if they choose.

In order to answer your question an attorney may need to know more about specifically the way this came up at the interview, what you were asked and what you answered. Good luck!

3. F. J. Capriotti III

7

Answered . Good moral character is a requirement for citizenship. Sending money 'when ever possible' is probably not enough.

Meet with an attorney.

PS The mother can not relieve you of your obligation to your son ... only a judge can do that.

4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

5

Answered . Common sense suggests a retention of a good immigration attorney to handle any arising additional inquiries from the USCIS during your naturalization process. Why?
    Because any foolhardy misstatement, a lack of proper response or even an inadvertent omission, no matter how innocent, may delay and in some instances facilitate a denial of naturalization. Is it worth for you to proceed without a knowledgeable legal counsel?

5. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

2

Answered . Generally speaking, if there is an order of child support outstanding, you must comply with it according to the exact terms of the order. Being current on child support obligations is an important requirement for immigration benefits such as a grant of citizenship, which you should realize is probably the most sought-after immigration benefit out there and therefore comes with strict requirements.