Skip to main content

Will I get my citizenship if I dont provide enough child support evidence to uscis ??

Kansas City, MO |
Filed under: Immigration

I had my interview and passed my test but u was requested to provide more evidence in terms of child support. I'm not in child support and have never been on child support. My son use to live with me until his mother up and left to another state . I send money when ever possible , how will this affect me getting my citizenship ? I have my receipts and a letter from the mom stating what I just said above.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Good moral character is a requirement for citizenship. Sending money 'when ever possible' is probably not enough.

    Meet with an attorney.

    PS The mother can not relieve you of your obligation to your son ... only a judge can do that.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. Common sense suggests a retention of a good immigration attorney to handle any arising additional inquiries from the USCIS during your naturalization process. Why?
    Because any foolhardy misstatement, a lack of proper response or even an inadvertent omission, no matter how innocent, may delay and in some instances facilitate a denial of naturalization. Is it worth for you to proceed without a knowledgeable legal counsel?

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  3. If the court ordered you to pay child support, you must demonstrate that you are in compliance.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. Failure to support dependents can bar naturalization if the adjudicator thinks it is evidence that you lack "good moral character" - even if no support has been ordered by a court. Supporting your children can be seen as a moral obligation, which is why the N-400 asks if you have ever failed to support your dependents or pay alimony without making reference to any court ordering you to do so. Failure to pay does not require them to deny your application, but it gives them some discretion to do so if they choose.

    In order to answer your question an attorney may need to know more about specifically the way this came up at the interview, what you were asked and what you answered. Good luck! - 312.641.0771 - The information above is general in nature and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between us. It is intended simply as background material, is current only as of its indicated date, and may not include important details and special rules that could be applicable to your case. You should consult an attorney directly before acting or refraining from action.

  5. Generally speaking, if there is an order of child support outstanding, you must comply with it according to the exact terms of the order. Being current on child support obligations is an important requirement for immigration benefits such as a grant of citizenship, which you should realize is probably the most sought-after immigration benefit out there and therefore comes with strict requirements.

    This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics